Saturday 11 May 2013

Photochromic & Thermochromatics

So the last couple ideas were not working out. They were catering towards the tutors' specialties and not necessarily as a combination of my majors: Graphics Media and Environmental/Spatial Design. I wasn't however processing the feedback correctly, even if Richard's was "make it". 

Now. I've been looking at lights:
Anthony McCall, "Five Minutes of Pure Sculpture" & United Visual Artists, "Vanishing Points"
Other things:
Jody Xiong, "Green Sidewalk Campaign" & Adam Niklewicz, "The Charter Oak"
And Brad, in our thursday class, discussed going back to graphics in the environment using UV paint that reacts to blue light. Tunnel vision had set in and I hadn't analysed my process from an outside perspective. I had become to accustomed to Katherine Moline's graphics class, where sets of tables or the entire class would go round to each persons' work and give feedback. Now there are too many students per class, and not enough time to talk with tutors. That and my own tunnel vision. 

Now that all this has been understood, I am adjusting my thinking back to graphics-y things (so i can still use a bunch of research including info-graphics!). Photochromic inks change colour when exposed to ultraviolet light from the sun or a black light. Examples: 
Clothing: Printed shirt alters colour in the sun.
Health: "Sun Watch" changes colour and illustrate needs when exposed to the sun.
Structure: Christoph Klemmt's award winning Or2 Photochromic Canopy Structure.
Paper: Advertising for skin cancer.

Which then brought me to Thermochromatic Ink. Instead of light affecting the chemical structure, this relies on temperature.
Architerials has a great look at Thermochromatics and its use.

Film: 
Polyester:


Click on pics to go the links and information.


No comments:

Post a Comment