Saturday 11 May 2013

More Examples

Thermochromatic Projects!!!

Hug Prints, by Catherine Sarah Young, is a project about Hugging. She sought to investigate "our perception of touch". Her site: theperceptionalist
These were her results:


At the end of the session, I had two conclusions:
1. A responsive garment made people pay attention to the act of hugging in the sense that they had the feedback of the vest to observe after the hug. In normal circumstances, people would just hug and then carry on. Here I felt that they were aware of the vest’s thermochromism, and thus affected the pressure and duration of the hug.
2. Having a garment that responds to touch can make the person want to hug the wearer more. But it can also turn people away; I had an incident where the person refused to hug (I was a sad puppy), even though we’ve hugged on other, more informal, occasions. I suspect that if I kept doing this, I would encounter people who would not like the idea of calling out this particular interaction.
There are two directions in which I can take this project:
1. Investigate how this vest can affect specific relationships, such as parent and child, or husband and wife, etc.
2. Investigate how this can play out with strangers in public spaces.
In any case, I have a lot of hugging to do.


Jay Watson's "Just a Little Longer" (jaywatsondesign) is an oak table finished with thermochromatics. Simple and effective. And out of my price range.

Francine LeClercq has an exhibition using painted cells that react the environment and audience. 
Another project of hers, "No Picture Available [081122]"



No comments:

Post a Comment